If you’re bored doing Bolognese or Carbonara pasta, this meatballs pasta recipe might be your alternative to feed the crowd. I’ve made this many times and I’ve never get enough of it.
400 gr of any pasta you like (Spaghetti or Tagliatelle)
500 gr veal/ beef meatballs
1 medium red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 tea spoon of chilli powder
10 pieces of cherry tomatoes
1 tin of 400 gr plums tomatoes or tomatoes purées
1 bunch of fresh basil
1 tablespoon of chopped scallion (optional)
- Finely slice garlic and onion.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the onion, cook until softened and golden.
- Add the garlic and chilli powder and cook until it changes colour.
- Add the meatballs, cook until lightly golden, breaking them up with the back of your wooden spatula.
- Pour the plums tomatoes or tomatoes purées, and cherry tomatoes.
- Bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until needed. Stir it regularly
- While simmering the meatball sauce, cook the pasta in a boiling salted water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 10 minutes (according to the packet instruction)
- Drain the pasta, but make sure you save 1 cup of cooking water.
- Add cooked pasta into the meatball sauce, splash with cooking water and stirring it well.
- Serve into a bowl or pasta plate, scatter over basil leaves, scallions and parmesan.